My fiance, Stacy, has been growing Beefsteak tomatoes every summer since we met, 7 years so far. Sure, he grew them before he met me but I figure those years don’t really count. *joking* Anyway, I’m certain each year the tomatoes get bigger and better, but maybe a winter full of eating tasteless store bought tomatoes fades my memory of how flavorful and delicious a homegrown tomato can be.
So this recipe calls for Beefsteak tomatoes, I asked Stacy if another tomato would do and he said no. You could try, but no guarantees it’s going to work as well as it does with a Beefsteak.
Herb & Cheese Crusted Tomatoes
- 1 cup fresh chopped herbs, basil, rosemary, thyme, oregano, chives
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1 TSP kosher salt
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup shredded cheddar, colby jack, or mozzarella cheese
How to make the Herb & Cheese Crusted Tomatoes:
- Mix herbs, garlic, salt, olive oil, and mayonnaise in small bowl
- Preheat the oven to high broil
- Cut 1/2 inch slices of the tomatoes > place on cookie sheet
- Top tomatoes with herb sauce > spread evenly
- Top with shredded cheese
- Cook until cheese is bubbly and golden > watch carefully to prevent burning